Friday, July 13, 2007

Who is a Torontonian anyways?

I was buying a Shawarma at the JCC on Bloor and Spadina. The guy behind the counter started talking to me. He was going clubbing tonight. We talked about girls. I told him that SF was shit and how they don't have a club district and how the women are more beautiful in Toronto.

I gave him a smug grin and knowing look that said, "you know what I mean."

He didn't know what I mean.

He just came from Lebanon six months ago, he told me, and has been in St. Catherines. This is his first week here.

I didn't believe him. He had to say it twice more before I did. Whoa. He just seems so Toronto.

Then I thought about it and what makes Toronto -- Toronto -- is that most are from somewhere else.

He is Toronto, just as I am Toronto, or anyone else who declare some residency here is Toronto. Immigrants, refugees, East Coasters running away, high blood from Rosedale, Jane and Finch.

It's just the Toronto state of mind.

No comments: