Monday, February 04, 2008

Go West, Young Man!

I spent most of the afternoon with my cousin. (Different cousin this time, from my father's side.) It's kinda cool because he is really young, just start college.

We talk most of the day about what kind of running shoes he likes. It more or less reinforced my perspective of the parochialism that is here in Macau. He thinks Hong Kong (a forty minute ferry ride costing 138 pataca -- half a day's wage) is faraway. He wants to go there so he can buy shoes to impressed his friends.

I was thinking about how I'd been endlessly bitter about many growing up in Canada. But I am, now, so glad that I did.

Other people I had talk to gave me the same feeling. There is a lack of openess, independent thought, and freedom for personal development here.

No comments: