Thursday, December 10, 2009

The distance between the F and OSS amazes me.

This is why I have always maintained that drawing a political line between so-called “open source advocates” and so-called “free software advocates” is specious. You can’t have “open source software” (in the sense that open source advocates mean the words) without also having “free software” (in the sense that free software advocates mean the words). Both are merely contractions of “free-licensed open source software”. The definitions promoted by both groups (the “Open Source Definition” and the “Free Software Definition”) include both legal freedom to modify and share the code and the pragmatic access to it.

Man, I had this giant debate last night on this exact same topic over the phone.

Free Software!
Open Source!

I guess there is a difference, but as an end-user, I don't really care.

I just want to know when they will let me watch pure TV and play cool RPG's on my eeePC.

Posted via web from Sammy's posterous

No comments: