Thursday, June 08, 2006

Karen Solie's "Untitled"

A new batch of "Poetry on the Way" is on the TTC.

This one, "Untitled" by Karen Solie, caught my eye by its use of
permutations. The poem repeats certain sentence, then altered them
slightly.

For example:

"Someone curled an arm around you as you slept, / and uponwaking gently
touched your face."

becomes,

"Someone curled an arm around you as you slept, / and in the afternoon
reached a hand towards you that you held, simply."

becomes,

"This afternoon I took his hand, simply, and reach across the words I'd
left behind."

I tried writing like this once to little success.
-- Sammy Lao, credo ut intelligam
416-905.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw this on the bus the other day after I read this post. It's a beautiful poem.