Thursday, May 24, 2007

How Insensitive -- Russell Smith



I just finished How Insensitive by Russell Smith in one day, over about two solid sittings. Rather proud of myself; I haven't seen myself read like this in a long time. I bought it a few weeks back.

Smith is a Queen's grad. A copy of this book sat in a display case for "up-and-coming" Queen's writers in the middle of Mac-Corry Hall, just outside the Geography computer lab. The book had a section all on it's own along with a portrait of Smith as a "young punk" next to a pillar outside Stauffer. I remember I used to pass by it almost everyday to class; in half admiration, half curiosity. I finally read and was not disappointed. Not disappointed at all.

I liked the book a lot. I made a few jot notes about it:

1) Canadian novels are slow. The story was great but the pacing was a canter instead of a trot. It seems like editorial decision. I wonder if American editors just green more in general. I noticed that other Canadian writers had the same laconic but sensual style as well.

2) Some of the dialogs of the main character, Ted, was a bit over the top. I know he was a post-modernist but the ones I know don't really talk like that.

3) The artsy scene has changed all that much since 1994 in Toronto.

4) Smith got the "Southern Ontario University" guys down pat.

Those guys all dress like they're about to ... go camping. Then they get rich and they dress like they're fat.
- Mike


5) A pair of Toronto quotes I really liked...

"I had no idea the city was so vast," said Ted. "I guess we only know a tiny part of it. I guess I don't know the real city. This isn't anything like the part we know. I mean we hardly ever leave a few square blocks."
"I go to Yorkville sometimes," said John.


and also a little later,

"Massive city," he said. "So spread out. Miles and miles of ugly places we'll never go. People who never have to come downtown. It's like lots of little small towns joined up. Seriously, we live in a small town. We hardly ever travel outside."
"I go to Yorkville sometimes," said John.

No comments: