Monday, May 21, 2007

I am having a hard time finishing my book. The weather is perfect. The
sun is warm and the wind brings just the right amount. The perfect
reading environment.

But I am near the end of the History of the Peloponnesian War. The
Athenian army is about to be destroyed in Sicily. This would be turning
point in the war as Athens finally over-stretch its resources to fight a
two-front war.

I knew it was going to happen, but I was kinda rooting for the Athenians
all the way. These guys were bold and so badass. They should've also won
the war -- even in retreat, they have 40,000 troops left. (By way of
comparison, the Americans have about 200,000 troops in Iraq today.) Very
sad. Their great fleet destroyed, most of their servants deserted, and
the whole army will soon be swallowed up.

But Athens wouldn't be the Athens we think of -- the birthplace of
Western culture -- without the Peloponnesian War. Such is the march of
history.

No comments: