Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Nuit Blanche (17) Kinsman Robinson Gallery

Featuring Norval Morrisseau

This was definitely an unexpected treat. We were walking around Cumberland and found this little gallery. We walked up the stairwell and I saw this wierd, multi-coloured drawing. I thought to myself, "wow, this looks SO familiar, like I have seen it on TV before."

Damn if it wasn't Norval Morrisseau, Shaman Artist.

I never did go see the exhibit at the National Gallery last year despite CBC pouring out commercials for this thing every 15 minutes. I wanted to, though. I sure wasn't disappointed by someone of his calibre.

Lots of neat stuff (1)(2)(3)(4)
Although it was kinda freaky with a lot of little signs next to each work to indicate some of Morriseau's very idiosyncratic spiritual beliefs.

My favourite is "Steam Bath Ritual with Spirit Helpers" which was done in marker! It really showed his ability as an artist to use markers and it was still a great piece.

1 comment:

Spirit Walker said...

If interested to learn more about Life and Times of Norval Morrisseau go to: http://norvalmorrisseau.blogspot.com/