Thursday, June 28, 2007

Chinatown in SF


I did so much walking today around Chinatown. The place doesn't stop, but in terms of activities and geography. I was there 6 hours and I don't think I saw half of it. Kinda puts the Toronto Chinatown to shame, but then again, they are completely different beasts.

Most of the place seems to be a giant tourist trap. All along Grant Ave are souvenir shops that sells more or less the same stuff in shop after shop. Later, I found out that the only real part of Chinatown is Stockton Street.

I woke up seven in the morning. (PST, so that would be ten in the morning back in Toronto.) I tried to get dim sum, but nothing was open. Barely found a HK-style bakery and order a milk tea. Not too bad, but it was a bit thick. Had a pineapple bun.

Then I went two shops down to have my hair cut by a mainlander. Why a mainlander? He was not very talkative. I like that in my barber.

Went back to Union Square and got GAP-ed. Took a shower. Then, it was back to Chinatown again.

I walked like a little mule uphill and up and up and up. Grant Ave just goes. Bought a new laptop bag. Tried to buy a tessen, but the quality is very. Maybe I will find a higher quality fan in Japantown.

Got tired and went to another HK-Style cafe/bakery. I felt I got ripped off. Lousy milk tea and a greasy porkchop should not be $5,

Going to try to walk to Japantown.

No comments: