Friday, March 16, 2007

CCTV on Yonge Street

Toronto Police Service - Closed Circuit Television


I remember when I was younger the joys I had walking down the street hand-in-hand with a lover. We'd push and heave along Yonge, then in a moment's passion drag ourselves into the many secluded sideroads and alleys. Sometimes, it is just a kiss. Other times, it was innocent, adolescent gropings.



Now, the Toronto Police may be privy to these activities by other, perhaps less innocent Torontonians.

I have to say that, personally, I support the idea of CCTV in public streets. It should be noted, however, that the cost/benefit analysis hasn't really been supportive of their use. Not all experts agree that CCTV actually deter crime.

Nor, is the TPS using this argument. They just want camera in high-crime areas that can record incidence that has taken place to aid in investigations. The by-law governing its use (City of Toronto By-Law 689-2000) is too opaque for me to read. I am confident in our Police Services though.

It should be noted that whatever the policy is, it seems (I might be wrong) to be less rigorous than the way the City of Toronto itself had handled request for CCTV records. According to this report, Director of Access and Privacy for the City of Toronto requires a judicial warrant before releasing anything to the police. Whereas the TPS cameras will be viewed as long as there is a report of a possible incidence.

For those who are more suspicious of the boys in blue than I, it should be noted that cameras are a double-edge sword. This incident in England suggests that it can also record incidences of police abuse.

No comments: