Thursday, March 29, 2007

Macanese Wordlessness

I am sitting in a little Portugese bakery, just west of Bloor and
Dundas, thinking of my earliest childhood home -- Macau.

It's always been a disadvantage to be the minority voice. Macau is
dominated culturally by the near by British Hong Kong. In elementry
school, I learned English instead of Portugese (Cantonese, of course, as
the primary language.)

I do feel a certain amount of regret; we had a fairly different colonial
experience than the Hong Kongnese. The cultural fusion was less, but
somethings were more common place.

In this little bakery, all the food items were familiar to me, but I
don't have the language to express them. There is the little shred
tarts. There are the custard-filled, twisty danish. They have the those
hard baked rolls -- in cantonese called "piglet-shaped buns." And my
favorite, the deep fried salted cod balls. I could barely order them
since I don't know their names. But the taste of them are some of my
earliest recollections.

What must be, must be.

No comments: