Friday, May 19, 2006

Web 2.0

I'd been having a little problem. The desktop I'm using has only a 3gig HD. This meant that after XP, I have less then 1gig for everything else. This has render this computer to be almost a terminal box; I don't use it for anything else but internet. It's fine. But, I would like the ability to do a little bit of word processing.

So, finally, I found a few partial solutions, courtesy of the new Web 2.0.

What is Web 2.0?

The Web-based Office will have its day by ZDNet's Richard MacManus -- I first profiled a Web 2.0 office in early September and since then more web-based office products have surfaced. Peter Rip posted recently that he's now "bumped into an alpha or beta Web-incarnation for every Microsoft desktop product". He says most are AJAX, but some are Flash or Flex-based (both Macromedia products). Peter thinks desktop [...]



So far ajaxwrite and Zoho Writer has potential. I also found a neat little web-hd, Openomy.

It's strange that everything I'm working with is still in beta-testing. Who knows? If Google or Microsoft or Yahoo don't buy these guys out, they won't be around in a year.

No comments: